Table of Contents
- Step 1
- Step 2
- Using Atlassian Jira integration
- Related Content
If you use Atlassian Jira as well as Feature Upvote then integrating the two could make your life easier. Our integration means you can:
- Link a Jira issue from a suggestion
- Create a new Jira issue from a suggestion
- View a linked Jira issue (basic information)
To make this integration work there are a few requirements:
- You must have a ‘Jira Software Cloud’ instance. This is a Jira instance hosted by Atlassian.
- You must use a Jira admin account to set up the integration
- Your Jira instance must be publicly visible. If your Jira installation can only be reached within your organisation, this integration won’t work.
Step 1: Create an Atlassian API token for Feature Upvote
Give Feature Upvote permission to access your Jira instance by creating an ‘API token’.
Alternatively, navigate to the API tokens page by starting at https://id.atlassian.com/ and selecting Security -> Create and manage API tokens
- Click on “Create API token”
- When prompted for a label, call it something memorable such as “Feature Upvote token”
- Click “Create”
The new token will be visible only once. Make sure to copy it to your computer’s clipboard and/or note it down so you can use this token in the next step.
Step 2: Configure Feature Upvote’s Atlassian Jira integration
Now, you’ll need to add your Atlassian Jira connection info to Feature Upvote:
- Go to your Feature Upvote dashboard
- Find the product board which you wish to connect with Jira and click on ‘Configure’
- Click on the ‘Integrations’ link
- Find ‘Atlassian Jira’ in the list of available integrations. Click on Enable
- Add the URL of your Atlassian Jira server. Note that it must be publicly visible. If your Jira installation can only be reached within your organisation, this integration won’t work.
- Add your Jira username and API token for an account that has admin permissions for the project you wish to link
- Click on Save and Continue
If the Jira Instance URL, username, and API token were correct, you’ll now be able to complete part 2:
- A new section in the form will appear labelled Atlassian Jira Options
- Choose a project and issue type. Any Jira issue you create from a suggestion will be assigned to the selected Jira project, and given the selected issue type
- Click Save
Using Atlassian Jira integration
When using Feature Upvote as a moderator, you’ll now see a new option when viewing a suggestion: “Link a Jira issue”
Clicking the link gives you the option to create a new Jira issue, or to link to an existing issue:
Once you’ve linked a suggestion to a Jira issue, you’ll now see an option to ‘View linked Jira issue’.
Clicking the link shows some basic information from the Jira issue.
Note that unlinking an issue does not change it on Jira. Feature Upvote creates Jira issues but doesn’t change them or delete them.
After creating a Jira issue from Feature Upvote, use Jira if you wish to change the description or assign the issue to a specific team member.
If these instructions are not working for you, let us know at email@example.com. Please include a screenshot of any error messages you’re getting.
Need more help with this?
Don’t hesitate to contact us here.